Again.
This child struggles so much.
It hurts my heart.
Deeply.
He tries.
But only to a certain point.
He doesn't push himself.
He can do better.
He knows it.
And we know it.
HE IS CAPABLE.
Tonight, I told him again that we will not give up on him.
WE WILL NOT GIVE UP ON HIM.
Tonight, I told him again that we only punish him because we give a rip.
We CARE.
His teacher CARES.
If we didn't care, we wouldn't take action and follow up with the threats of taking his prized possessions away.
If we didn't care, we wouldn't be keeping in close contact with his teacher.
If his teacher didn't care, she wouldn't be reaching back out to us.
He is surrounded by people who CARE.
I told him we will NOT give up on him.
I told him this is what parents do.
They care.
He looked at me with tears in his eyes.
I told him that here I am, 33 years old, and my own parents still gently push me to make the right decisions.
Tonight, I am thankful to have parents who cared.
And taught me how to care.
And to never give up on my children.
A line my own mother taught me, and it sticks with me to this day, is:
WHEN THEY DESERVE LOVE THE LEAST, IS WHEN THEY NEED IT THE MOST.
And boy, is that ever true.
This kid is battling something.
It is our job to stick with him through his battle.
And to not give up on him.
And to not let him give up on himself.
.
It's so hard to be a "good" parent. *sigh* {{{HGUS}}}}}
ReplyDelete