I have.
Today, my baby daughter was choking on something*.
(This actually happened a few days ago as well and she choked up, and I pulled out of her mouth, a pine needle.)
This time, though, there was no coughing, no gasping, just her looking at me with wide panic-filled eyes, and flailing her arms and legs.
SILENT.
Silence is not good when there is choking involved.
I immediately started the whole infant-choking procedures and when that wasn't working, I started to panic, yelling, "God please! Please help me here I don't know what to do! Help my baby!" and finally screaming, "TELL ME WHAT TO DO!"
... and then I heard the sweet sound of my 3 year old daughter as she broke her own silence and yelled, "Mommy call da doctor!!!"
For those previous few seconds as this all unfolded, I had not even noticed her standing with me, watching all of this.
And hearing her yell out those words was all the guidance I needed.
(((Thank you God for doing your work through her.)))
I'm fully aware many of you are possibly thinking, "Well, duh, if that happened to me, I would have called right away."
And I have to say you really don't know what you would do if you're really not in those shoes.
So don't judge.
I called 911, and while I was on the line with the dispatcher, my baby was able to throw up and find her breath.
In the end, the ambulance arrived, she was evaluated, and everything was fine, thank God.
(and I want to give a shout-out to my brother who arrived first and was quite a sight for sore eyes, my dad who arrived moments after, and to the EMTs who were quick and efficient, and to my mom, and my neighbor who all came to be by my side and offer hugs and support.)
My husband had to call 911 once too, 2 years ago, when he found his father.
His experience didn't have a happy ending.
It's an awful feeling of dread mixed with panic mixed with helplessness.
I get it now.
IT'S A FEELING OF:
I have done all I can.
I tried everything.
There is nothing more I can do.
It is out of my hands now.
* I never did figure out what she had choked on. I'm assuming she had probably picked up something from the floor.. a crumb ... a dog hair... who knows."
.
Was Larry visiting mom and dad? Did Dad have the scanner on?
ReplyDeleteSo scary. I hope we never have to call 911. But thank GOD there are experienced people (like Larry!) on the other end of the 911 call who know how to keep us calm and instruct us as to what to do. God bless the 911 dispatchers.