Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thankful Thursday

What if something happened to me and the big guy?

Nobody else knows about our little routines and the little games that we play.

For instance, for the past several months our family has a little game where when we see a VW Beetle, we  yell out "Slugbug!" 
Except we're not allowed to hit each other like in the classic game. 
We have to hit the roof of the vehicle instead. 
And it's an extra point if we call out the color. 
There have been some pretty heated arguments about who got what point and who called it first. 
What nobody knows about, though, is that we do the same thing for PT Cruisers. 
And pink cars. 
We made the game our own.

Or, every night at 8:00, we all gather in the oldest daughter's bedroom and pray. 
We say the bedtime prayer out loud together and then we each say our own individual prayers. 
What nobody else knows is that when it gets to the oldest daughter's turn to say her prayer, keep in mind she's 3, her prayer is always the same, "I want pway for leeka(?)." 
None of us have any idea what or who she is referring to, but she says the same thing every night.
After the first week of hearing this prayer, we no longer questioned it, asked her to clarify, or gave confused looks. 
It is her prayer and it is allowed.

Or, that the oldest boy REALLY likes a famous-teenage-boy-singer. 
He has told us that he doesn't talk about it at school for fear of being laughed at. 
What nobody else knows is that whenever this famous young man is on tv, I immediately hit the 'record' button. 
And when my oldest son gets home from school, I quietly tell him I have something special recorded for him.  And when everyone else is occupied, he and I watch it together. 
It's our little thing.

Or that when we tuck the oldest daughter and youngest son in to bed, we have a special hand-clap-slap routine we do just before turning off their lights and saying "Goodnight." 
And if we forget to do it, we are called back in. 
And if they forget, we go back in on our own.
We put a special touch on the boring old hug and smooch.

Nobody else knows that for the past 5 years on Halloween, one of our first stops is McDonalds. 
That way the kids are eating as we drive around trick-or-treating ... they're filling their bellies with a special treat, and it's not candy that they're filling their bellies with. 
Tradition.

Or that every Sunday on our way to church, the big guy and I turn the radio on to 'scan' and the kids love to hear the little game we play... whoever can name the song first gets a point. 
Naming the artist gets an extra point. 
But it all has to be done before the station changes
Sometimes the oldest son even joins in.
This game has even been known to smooth the waters when the big guy and I aren't speaking to one another.
There have been times that I have been giving him the silent treatment, but when we all pile into the truck and start driving down the road in silence, one of the kids will pipe up, "Hey guys, aren't ya gonna play your game?"
And just that quick, everything is back to normal.
It helps break the ice.

Or that there is a rosary hanging on the wall next to my side of the bed for when I can't sleep.
And another on the big guy's side of the bed for when he is battling yet another night of nightmares.
And one next to each of the kids' beds for when they wake up scared.
Constant faith.

Or that every year on Christmas Eve, not only do the kids leave a snack for Santa, they also leave 'Thank you' letters.
A little way to teach them gratitude.

Or that every Saturday we are all served a large breakfast of eggs, toast, bacon, sometimes even waffles or pancakes ... courtesy of the big guy.
He says he does it simply because he loves us.
A way for him to show his appreciation.

I could go on and on ... so many routines and quirks and games and rules and inside jokes that we have ...

And sometimes I wonder and hope nothing tragic ever happens to the big guy and I.

Because it's a long list of 'things' that only our little family knows, and sometimes I think the kids would be very lost and confused if we quit doing all of these things.

Every family has their own list, and this is just a small portion of ours.


Today, I am thankful for family traditions.




.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Heather, those are great!
    My kids will be writing thank you's to Santa this year... ;)

    ReplyDelete