With that said...
The big guy got a deer for us this morning, a nice buck.
We had taken the oldest boy with us, and for me, seeing him jump and cheer from a distance is a memory I will always carry with me. Each year holds a new experience, but there is nothing like seeing your first kill.
I remember the first one I saw - I was with the big guy - 4 years ago. When I saw the deer go down, I was first scared, that fear was immediately replaced with sadness, and just as quickly the feelings switched to relief and gratefulness.
Deer=Food.
I have been hunting along-side my husband for 4 years now, and if I never get to tag my own deer, I don't even care - getting to witness that excitement on my son's face was enough to make it all worth it.
This evening I need to say "Thank you" to Saint Hubert (Patron saint of Hunters).
The big guy wore your blessed medal out today (I gave it to him for Christmas 2 years ago, and faithfully he wears it out on every hunting excursion).
The 3 of us bowed our heads and said our quick prayer of thanksgiving before the field dressing, just as the big guy and I do every year when he makes his kill.
I am proud to say we are passing all of this on to the the oldest son.
And it will passed on to the other 3 as well.
The big guy narrated while he did the field dressing as our son watched quietly.
We explained how important it is to do it with dignity... you never disrespect the animal that gave his life to feed your family.
This buck died so that we may live.
He will supply us with meat for 3 months.
And we will get gloves from his hide.
Hopefully I will be back with more words of thanks before the season is through - wouldn't that be something, if we were able to fill the final 3 tags and have meat for the year!
Here is some information on Saint Hubert:
The story of Saint Hubert, Patron Saint of hunters
.
Beautiful post. Offering a prayer of thanks for the deer's death so that you may live. And the dignity and respect of the animal as you dress it out. There is a series of books that I read... the main character in the book does the same thing. And I thought it was poignant and moving and respectful, and I swore that I would also do it if the opportunity ever presented itself.
ReplyDeleteTo me, this is what hunting is all about. Yes, it's about the thrill of the chase, but it's also about giving thanks to the living being that gave it's life for you.