Thursday, April 14, 2011

The one about death

An acquaintance of the big guy recently passed away.
Very unexpectedly.
Evidently he wasn't feeling well, went in to the emergency room, and passed away hours later, leaving everyone with questions.

Rumor has it that they have since discovered that his brain was riddled with tumors.
And he didn't even know it.

And then, he just ... died.

It's a heavy subject - death.

I've been pondering on this.
Many people would argue what I'm about to say, especially those reeling from the pain of losing a loved one.
But, to me, it almost seems like the ideal way to go.
To be able to live my life normally, right up to those final minutes.
Not being killed in an act of violence.
No horrific car wreck involving others.
No mess for my loved ones to try to piece together or clean up.

Or, not knowing I'm sick.
Not having to go through hours/days/weeks/months of painful and tiring treatments.
Not having to say "goodbye" to my loved ones and then ... waiting.
Not knowing I'm dying.

Even though, I guess really, we are all dying.  In a way.





.

4 comments:

  1. That would be my preferred way, but I would hope that all of my loved ones wouldn't feel like there were unsaid things, kwim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To know that your loved one died peacefully is a gift. To know your loved one lived well is another. Sounds like the big guy's friend and those he loved are very blessed!

    ReplyDelete