Thursday, April 21, 2011

A day in the life of me

Last night was .... hmmm.
It was ....
Well, let me start by saying I had gotten about 4 hours of sleep out of the previous 24, and I was battling a headache and nausea, and had spent a good portion of the afternoon in a dark house with the curtains closed, taking migraine pills, and whenever I wasn't chasing and/or cuddling the little girls, I was sitting on the couch in a trance wishing the big guy would just GET HOME.

And at 4:00 is when things got real exciting.
Woo.  Hoo.
 
First, the boys walked in from school and we immediately found out that Logan had forgotten to bring some homework home.  Again.  Which resulted in a scolding, and then punishment of no outside for the evening (because this child... bless his heart... has what seems to be dementia, and let's face it, he just needs to be parented differently then the others).
And that resulted in him pouting and stomping and muttering things about us under his breath, and us just waiting for him to get it out of his system so we could move on to the next task.

Then they sat down to do the homework that they did bring home.

And then, right after we got them settled into their homework, I suddenly remembered that Samuel's class was going to be featured on the 5:00 news.
In 15 minutes.
On a channel we do not get.
So we were going to have to go to my parents' house and use their cable tv, and I shrieked "OMG THE NEWS!  EVERYBODY STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING GET YOUR SHOES ON AND LET'S GO!"

We arrived just in time and sat and watched the news at my folks' house.  Sadly, the news only showed 2 still photos - 1 of Sam's classmate, and 1 of the entire class...
But before he could even get sad about it, we looked at him, and said "OMG LOOK THERE YOU ARE IN THE LEFT HAND CORNER OF THAT PICTURE OMG SAM YOU'RE FAMOUS!  GOOD JOB BUD!"  And he blushed and grinned and hid his face.

Then we came home and ate supper (shout out to the big guy, the meal was outstanding) and we talked a little bit about Easter and debated about whether it was Peter or Paul that denied Jesus.  Poor Logan insisted it was Paul, and myself, the big guy, and Sam tried to tell him that he was wrong. And he only accepted the fact that he was wrong when I finally physically showed him the story.  The poor kid just had a rough night all the way around.

And then Logan said we needed to talk.
In private.
So into our bedroom we went.
And he pointed at me, raised his brow, and said, "Are you the Easter bunny?"

um.

hmmm.

He had asked me this same question last year in the middle of K Mart, and I weaseled my way out of it by telling him we'd talk about it at home.
And then he forgot about it and I assumed he knew the truth and it was over and he would just play along from now on.

This year, though, he had me cornered and wanted to talk about it ... right here and right now.
I gotta hand it to him.
Well played, my son, well played.

He blinked and continued to point at me, staring with an expression that said, "Well?"

I smiled and said, "I'm gonna be honest with you..." and I went on to tell him the truth.
Which resulted in him staring out the window, with a blank expression and tears in his eyes.

It cheered him up when I explained that it's a very adult thing to learn, and he has to be extremely responsible with such confidential information, and he's got a big job now to keep the magic alive for his little siblings. 

But then my answer led to more questions.
Like, about the tooth fairy.
And Santa.
But I didn't give a straight answer about Santa.  And he said, "You guys can't be Santa, because where else could the reindeer poop come from?"
So I think we're in the clear there.

So then we came out of the bedroom and everyone else had cleaned the kitchen.  Which was pretty awesome of them.
And I decided to take a break.
So I went to the bathroom to read an article in my Mothering magazine about the scent of a mother.
It's my little secret - sitting in the bathroom.
They all think I poop for long periods of time and that I poop a lot.
But I don't.
I just go in there to escape and have quiet time.
But it didn't work last night, because they all started to pound on the door, and yell for me and ask me questions and need things.

So I figured I'd wait until Maria went to bed.

So we got her to bed, and once again, I locked myself in the bathroom for quiet time.
But then Maria started shouting from her bed like a calf "Maaa!  Maaa!"
So I went to her room, and she wanted to talk about the Easter party her class was having the next day.
So we talked about it.
And I tucked her in again.
And then I had to go downstairs to talk to Logan.
And we had a little argument.
And I had to just walk away.
And I was going to plop down in front of the computer and just let my brain go to mush for awhile.
But Sam was already on the computer and it's his 'day' to be on the computer so I didn't want to kick him off.
So I went into the bathroom to read my Mothering magazine again.
And then I heard Maria's bedroom light flip on.
So I went to her room again and tucked her in again.
And I went into the bathroom to read my Mothering magazine again.
But then the big guy knocked and informed me it was time to get the boys to bed.
So we went and tucked them in.

And I figured, okay 3 out of 4 are taken care of, and I went into the bathroom to read my Mothering magazine again.

And then the baby started shrieking and then ... OMG ... then ... I was like "OMG I'M GONNA CRY I JUST WANT SOME ME TIME QUIET TIME ALL BY MYSELF I JUST WANT TO READ MY FRIGGEN MOTHERING MAGAZINE ABOUT HOW BABIES CAN TELL THE FRIGGEN SCENT OF THEIR MOTHER AND MOTHERS CAN TELL THE FRIGGEN SCENT OF THEIR OWN BABIES GAHHHHH!"

At that point I wasn't acting very mother-like.

And I stomped up to the big guy, and with sympathetic eyes, he handed me the baby, and I took her into her bedroom, sat in the rocking chair, started nursing her, and I laid my head back and closed my eyes and started to calm myself.

And then, the big guy quietly snuck in, smiled at me with understanding eyes, and whispered "You just lose yourself in her.  Take all the time you need.  Come out when you're relaxed."

And that just made everything all better.  And that's why I love him.




.

1 comment:

  1. "They all think I poop for long periods of time and that I poop a lot."
    OMG Heather. I laughed and snorted out loud! For realz. lol

    I think all of us moms understand completely.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete