Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The time Logan downloaded a naughty song

Sometimes while we eat supper, we have someone's music playlist playing in the background.
Tonight, we played Logan's playlist from his ipod, which was okay since we do like a lot of the same songs he does.  Because, according to his friends, we are "boss parents".

(A little background:
Logan saved up for months and months and months to buy an ipod for himself.  He loved that thing.  It went everywhere with him... including the lake one weekend when he was camping.
He went to take a dip, forgetting it was in his pocket, ultimately drowning it.
So that was the end of that ipod.
He was devastated.
He immediately went to work doing odd jobs and saved up and bought another one.
He pays for all of his songs and games.
But only the big guy and I know the password, so he has to come to us every time he buys a song and/or game.)

Back to the story.

So, we were all sitting around the table, eating our spaghetti, and drinking our water, visiting about our day, when a new song came on... a song that was unfamiliar to us... and all of a sudden Logan stopped eating, his eyes grew wide, and he looked at me in a panic and quickly said, "Can I go change the song?"

I also stopped eating, smiled at him, and said, "Um. Why?"

.... my question was met with a petrified stare ...

I stared back at him, with my fork full of spaghetti frozen in my hand halfway up to my mouth, waiting for his explanation.

After our little stare-down, he finally looked down and blurted out, "I accidentally got the bad version of this song."

I listened to the lyrics for a few moments, quickly determined this was definitely an inappropriate song, and then I smiled at him and cheerfully sarcastically exclaimed, "Oh!  Okay cool!  Then we'll all get to hear it!"

His mouth fell open, and he pleaded, "Really? No... Mom, no.  Are you serious right now?"

I grinned at him and said, "Totally."

He pushed his plate forward, put his arms on the table, and put his head on his arms and his hands over his ears.

He stayed in that position through the entire song, while the big guy and I sat, listening to the song and staring wide-eyed at each other and mouthing, "Oh... my... GOD."  The little kids didn't even notice the song, they just continued eating and talking amongst themselves.  The song was horrible - well, it was actually just your typical rap song, full of cursing, but preferably not something my 12 year old be listening to.

When the song was finally over, Logan lifted his head from the table and looked at me with an apologetic face, and I continued to smile psychotically while I said, "Well, that was a catchy little number!  What was it about?"

He rolled his eyes and looked down again, and mumbled, "I don't even know.  Sorry."

Then we got serious.  The big guy asked him which one of us got suckered into letting him buy that song.
Logan glanced over at me, again, with the apologetic and now also mortified face, and said, "It was mom.  I'm sorry."

Then it all came back to me.  He did come to me a week or two ago and asked me to put in the password because he was buying a song.  I vaguely remember asking what the song was, and him telling me, and him quickly throwing in, "Don't worry, I'll get the clean version."  Of course, there were other things on my mind at the time, (you know, miscarriage and all) and it's the one time I didn't bother looking the song up.  Hindsight being 20/20 it was obviously a red flag when he a-little-too willingly said, "I'll get the clean version."  But, like I said, you know ... other things on my mind.

There really is no ending to this story.
There was no big punishment or scolding or anything.
His whole family sitting at the dinner table with him while we all listened to this song of his that was riddled with the "f" word was punishment enough, I think...

Oh, and the song was deleted.

And that's what happened at supper time tonight.





.

No comments:

Post a Comment