Friday, February 18, 2011

The Time Capsule

When Estella was born, we moved Maria out of the 'little' bedroom and into her 'big' bedroom.  

But first we tore out the carpet. 

And she has lived in her bedroom for nearly a year with no carpeting.


She has made the most of it.


It was like her own really, really big canvas.

We all took our turns writing messages on her floor.

The big guy says it's like our family time capsule.

Because we finally got it carpeted for her. 
And maybe someday, a new family will be living here.  
And maybe someday, they will pull up the carpet.
And see our messages and doodles and drawings.

It was bittersweet to come home last week to see beautiful, clean, brand new carpet on her floor. 
Covering up our story.

Of course, Maria was thrilled.  
She danced into her bedroom and twirled and jumped on her new floor.
While I stood in the doorway, smiling, and remembering.



Some day, we will tell her about the stories that are underneath the carpet.
And show her the many pictures of it.
And maybe, just maybe, she will remember.



3 comments:

  1. So sweet! What a great memory for all of you.

    I see her quilt hanging on the wall. What a great idea! I should do that with the awesome quilt my mom made for Jack that is too little for him now.....it's currently in Keira's closet as a spare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful entry. I love the photo of her laying on her new carpet.
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete