I realize not everyone has seen the movie (or read the book), so I will do my best to not spoil it.
We watched it today.
This movie hit me hard.
It started out focusing on a little guy named Max, who seems to be a very lonely boy with a WILD imagination. He reaches out to those around him - wanting attention, someone to play with, and most importantly, someone to show his creations to.
He reminded me very much of my own children.
And the reactions he got from those around him... reminded me of me.
It opened my eyes and I really took a long hard look at myself and my parenting.
More often than not lately, when my children yell to me, "MOM! Come see!" ... all excited to show me their forts, drawings, CREATIONS ... I find myself sighing out of exasperation because I'm so busy.
Busy doing WHAT?
The dishes?
Sweeping the floor?
Checking Facebook?
All things that can wait.
Those things aren't going anywhere!
But my children are. They're growing by the hour.
Minute.
Second.
These are things that they created with their own imaginations!
How could I act so ... interrupted?
And sometimes, I even say, "Not right now..." with the intentions of checking it out later.
When I'm not so busy.
And then I don't even go to see their creations.
And then I forget about it.
And then the children move on with their day.
And I miss it altogether.
Moments and smiles and pats-on-the-back all missed...
I used to be pretty hands-on when it came to parenting.
What happened?
I believe it traces back to when I was newly pregnant with Estella.
I was sick and tired, and perhaps just never completely pulled myself back together.
Who knew a simple movie could be such an eye-opener?
Ah well, time for me to fix some things.
Mainly, myself.
Better late than never, right?
Oh, and the snowfort/igloo scene just tore my heart out!
No comments:
Post a Comment